Personality Development - Club Activities
The first impression is the last impression. Goes the saying But how does one arrive at this impression? Some form the impression based on the physical appearance like height, weight, colour, body built, dress, voice, etc. Some others base their impressions on the intellectual qualities like intelligence, activeness, way of speech, thinking and reasoning abilities, etc. Impressions are also formed based on social characteristics like sociability, generosity, kindness, reservedness, etc. And these impressions lead to ones personality. Psychologists bet to differ from common impressions of personality. According to them, ‘the real or inner qualities of a person will be different from, that of the qualities seen apparently. GW Allport defines personality as ‘the dynamic organisation, within the individual of those psychological systems that determine his unique adjustment to his environment’. What this definition means is that the different psychological traits which determine the adjustment of the individual are organised into a dynamic (changeable or modifiable) unit. So there will be flexible adjustment with the environment.
hat means “We are not locked into our personalities. We have the ability to change and improve them.” As mentioned in 10 Ways To Improve Your Personality Personality of an individual is the totality of the inherited and acquired abilities and characteristics. It begins its formation very early in life and continues to emerge and change throughout lifespan. The first environment which caters to an individual’s personality development is the family into which he is born and is being brought up. Family plays a very important role in defining the future grown-up's personality. It is the family one looks up to and tends to copy the behaviour of parents.
- The child, at a very early age joins school, another environment where he begins to socialize and come into contact with children of his age and even older, which contribute to his shaping of personality.
- An even more significant role is being played by the education that the child gets in school.
- Besides the various information he gets from the subjects studied in the school curriculum, the individual also learns how to behave in a wide range of situations.
- The school also instructs how to conduct oneself in a group of people.
- Perhaps some pupils have had no brothers or sisters and so have not learnt the lesson of sharing with others and have turned out to be spoiled and selfish. In school they learn to share and also work in a team to complete a task. They learn about team spirit, communication with team members, convincing others of their views, accepting others opinions, resolving indifferences, etc
- School is where the individual gets the first guidelines to live grown up lives and build data-fancyboxationships based on common interests.
- Classrooms are actually replications of the teams that individuals will later on work with in the corporate sectors.
- School teaches respect, responsibility, punctuality, dignity, etc.
We learn a lot and develop a personality in the school environment, which wouldn’t have been possible in a family. It is the nature of life to make us learn by passing through various environments, each of them having a dedicated role in shaping personalities.